Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

More Information on Yorks Departure


City of York are leaving the North Yorkshire Home Choice Partnership in early 2022.

How does this impact on your existing housing application?  What do you need to do? Do you need to do anything?  

Essentially we need you to consider
1. where do you have a local connection - york craven ryedale richmondshire hambleton selby or scarborough ? Remember you may have a connection to more than one area
  2. when you applied for social housing, which, North Yorkshire Home Choice Partner did you apply through or who assessed your housing application

There is a flowchart available to help you decide what action, if any, you may need to take. 

By clicking anywhere on this page you will be directed to the flowchart

or email City of york at for further help and guidance quoting your housing reference number

If you need a quick reminder about the local connection criteria for North Yorkshire Home Choice or details of the York-Only criteria please see below

The Local Connection Criteria for North Yorkshire Home Choice Partners

 NYHC Allocations Policy 2.5 Page 11

The Partnership has agreed to restrict access to the housing register to those people who have a recognised local connection to the partnership area. A local connection is defined by s.199 Housing Act 1996 because of normal residence of their own choice, employment, family or special circumstances.

.  Applicants will need to meet one of the following criteria;




1.1Local Connection York Allocations Policy



Due to high demand for Social Housing in the York Local Authority area, City of York Council have agreed to restrict access to the register to those people who have a recognised connection to the York Local Authority  area.  Applicants will have to meet one of the following criteria to be considered as having a local connection.


Residence in a hospital, prison, approved premises, mental health hospital, residential schools, and student accommodation, including shared accommodation sourced through student services, which is not their principal home and short term holiday lets does not gain a residency qualification or a local connection.