Decisions and Reviews

Decisions and Right of Review

Applicants have the right to information about certain decisions which are taken in respect of their housing  application and the right to review those decisions (s.166(1A)) Housing Act 1996

These include

  • Access to the North Yorkshire Home Choice register by either Eligibility and/or Qualification
  • A decision to cancel/close  an application
  • A decision to withdraw or reduce  priority banding
  • A decision in respect of any information which is being taken into account in considering whether to make an offer of accommodation
The Review Process

North Yorkshire Home Choice operate a two stage review.

Stage 1

Applicants have 21 days from the date of notification to request a review of the decision made.

This review will be conducted by the housing partner administering your application.

The review will be carrried out by an officer senior to the person who made the decision and who will not have been involved in the application or the decision made.

Applicants are advised that it is acceptable for the request to be submitted by a representative on their behalf.

Stage 2

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of the stage 1 review you have 21 days to appeal and request a stage 2 review  This review should be made in writing.

This review will be conducted by a member of the NYHC Review panel.

The Review Panel is comprised  of senior housing officers or appropriate housing specialists of NYHC Partner Landlords.  The panel will have 56 days to complete a review  and will  provide a written outcome and recommendation report.

Where the panel require a time extention beyond 56 days, you will be notified and advised of the reason for this and the additional time required.

The review is a paper based review but subject to agreement  by the panel a meeting may be held if deemed appropriate.

The outcome and recommendation report will be sent to the administrating partner, who made the original decison who will then have 7 days to notify you in writing of the outcome and any action they intend to take. This will assist you if you remain dissatisfied and seek a judicial review or wish to take your complaint to the Logal Government Ombudsman

You will received a copy of the panels report along with the administering Partners response.

General Complaints

General complaints may be defined as an expression of dissatisfaction, however made,  about the standard of service, actions or lack of actions by the individual Partner organisation, its own staff, or those acting on its behalf, affecting an individual.  General complains are not part of the right of review process and will be investigated by the NYHC Partner administering your housing application using their own published complaints process. Please contact the partner administering your housing application for details of their complaints process. 

Personal Data

If you want to know more about your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 you can go to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) at

If you are unhappy with the way your personal data is handled you can contact the independent Information commissioner at

Other sources of information may be found on the following websites

Which ombudsman for social housing complaints? - Housing Ombudsman (

How to Complain - Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman